St. Mark’s Church

St. Mark’s Church

Galbraith Photo, Toronto, Canada

Showing St. Mark’s Church in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario

Founded in 1791, the church was built in the early 1790s, however the work was not complete until 1809. The building remains the oldest Anglican Church in continuous use in Ontario. The cemetery surrounding the church was the community burial ground before the church was built, dating back to 1782.

During the War of 1812 the Church was used first as a hospital by the British and Canadian forces.

The American forces occupied the town in 1813, destroying the Fort. The Church was used for stores. Before retreating, the U.S. forces burned virtually the entire. Upon liberating the town, the British and Canadian forces replaced the Church roof to make use of it for their stores until the fort and commissary could be rebuilt.

For further historical information, check out this site.